Mix & Match Tatted Earrings -
crochet hook size 15 or 16
DMC perle cotton size 12 - your choice of color
glass seed beads - your choice of color
white craft glue
fish hook or ball post earrings
Some hints to read before you start tatting.
- Use the picture for ideas of mixing the pieces for different styles. There are 3 basic parts tothese earrings: the large ring, the 4 leaf clover and the dangly pieces.
- How to attach the beads using the beading needle: Slip 1 bead on the threaded needle, put the needle through the picot, then back through the bead. Carefully slide the threaded needle out. Using ahook join the rings. The bead is not sewn on the picot, it is just slid on it.
- To make it easier to put a bead on the picot make the picots 1/4" long.
- If you want to stiffen your tatting mix 1 teaspoon of glue with 1/4 cup of warm water. Stir untilmixed very well. Dip your finished tatting into the glue mixture. Blot dry and lay flat to finish airdrying. I prefer this for jewelry as it keeps the stiff shape better than starch.
- A half stitch is the first half of a double stitch. It is used to make the long dangly pieces.
|ch - chain||p - picot||hs - half stitch||ds - double stitch|
|cl - close||rw - reverse work||sep - separate|
Large Ring - ball & shuttle
Fill the shuttle but don't cut off the ball thread.
1. Ring - 3 ds, 5 p sep by 3 ds, cl. Rw.
2. Ch 8, p, ch8. Rw.
3. Ring - 3 ds, p, 3ds, add bead and join to the 4th picot of the previous ring, 3ds, 3 p sep by 3 ds, cl. Rw.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three times for a total of 5 rings.
5. Repeat step 2.
6. Ring - 3ds, p, 3ds, add a bead and join to the 4th p of the previous ring, 3ds, p, 3ds, add a bead to the 2nd p of the first ring and join, 3ds, p , 3ds, cl. Rw.
There should be a total of 6 rings and 5 chains.
Now choose either 7a or 7b.
7a. To make just the ring with no long dangling pieces you can end here by ch 8, p, ch 8. Tie the ch to the bottom of the first ring.
7b. If you are making the dangly earrings substitute: Ch 5, p, ch3, p, ch3, p, ch5. Cut off the ball and shuttle threads leaving long enough tails to tie the ch to the bottom of the first ring. Add a touch of glue to the knot. When it's dry cut off the ends.
4 Leaf Clovers - shuttle only
1. Ring - 3ds, 3 p sep by 3ds, cl.
2. Ring - 3ds, attach a bead and join to the 3rd p of the previous ring, 3ds, 2p sep by 3ds, cl.
3. Repeat step 2 for 3rd ring.
4. Ring - 3 ds, attach a bead and join to the 3rd p of the previous ring, 3ds, p, 3ds, attach a bead and join to the 1st p of the first ring 3ds, cl.
Cut off the ball thread leaving a long enough tail to tie to the bottom of the first ring. Add a little glue to the knot. When it's dry cut off the end.
Dangly Pieces - ball & shuttle
1. Ring - 4 ds, join to the first p of the 7b. chain series of the large ring, 4ds, cl. Rw.
2. Ch 1, make 25 hs, ch 1. Let the stitches spiral.
3. Ring - 4ds, join to a p of a clover, 4ds, cl.
4. Cut off the ball and shuttle threads leaving long enough tails tie. Add a touch of glue to the knot. When it's dry cut off the ends.
1. Ring - 5 ds, join to the second p of the 7b. chain of the large ring, 5 ds, cl. Rw.
2. Ch 1, make 30 hs, ch 1.Let the stitches spiral.
3. Ring - 4ds,join to the p of a clover, 4ds, cl.
Repeat step 4.
Make the third piece like the first attaching it to the 3rd p of the 7b. chain of the large ring.
1. make just the large circle.
2. make the large circle with the 3 dangly pieces and 4 leaf clovers.
3. attach a 4 leaf clover to a dangly piece.
4. make just the 4 leaf clovers.
To wear these earrings attach a fish hook earring to the top picot.
To wear just the 4 leaf clovers, put a ball post earring in the center hole of the cluster.
If you don't have pierced ears you can attach them to clip-on earrings that have a hook at the bottom or you can either sew or glue the tatting to a flat clip-on earring.
I hope you had fun making these earrings and will try making them with different sizes of threads and beads. There's a style here for everyone.